In November 2019, after 6 months of advocating for the overlooked dogs and cats stuck in the East Orange Animal Shelter, I co-founded the East Orange Animal Alliance. Our mission is to provide resources that enable the City of East Orange to most effectively care for its at-risk animals and support the people who are dedicated to them. What began as hustling to get dogs and cats out of the shelter (many of whom, when we first started, had been living there with little to no exposure for a year or more) has turned into an organization focused on community outreach and support. The pandemic has created an even greater need than before, and we've responded to it in the following ways.
- Assisting with pet retention when community members need help with supplies, medical care, or training support. This keeps pets out of shelters and in loving homes that just need a little help.
- Facilitating the rehoming of dogs and cats by working directly with owners who cannot keep them, so that the pets don't have to spend any time at the shelter.
- Supplying a weekly pet food bank with dog and cat food that community members can pick up each Monday morning, free of charge.
- Supplying community cat caregivers with food to feed their managed colonies, and covering the cost of numerous spays and neuters to curtail the outdoor cat population.
- Networking and placing adoptable dogs and cats at the shelter with an ever-growing list of 30+ partner organizations across 6 states.
- Fundraising to purchase much-needed supplies for the shelter, like a washer and dryer.
- Securing placements for shelter dogs with behavioral quirks that require a little something extra - including one placement at an esteemed training center in Florida, for which we also organized the transport.
In 2020, we hope to expand our programming even further to include things like vaccine and spay/neuter days, free dog training classes, and more. By donating to my Strut Your Mutt fundraising efforts, you will make this expansion a reality.